Read on for more details!
Updates to connector standards
Hummingbot exchange connectors, which standardize its WebSocket and REST integration to a crypto exchange's API, are one of the primary reasons why thousands of individual and professional quant traders use frameworks like Hummingbot. By maintaining seamless, low-level connectivity to an exchange's API, Hummingbot's open source connectors help quant traders and market makers skip many dev-hours of engineering time and focus on strategy enhancement.
Keeping these exchange connectors updated is non-trivial, since exchange API change often. In addition, the Hummingbot exchange connector standard has undergone significant improvements.
Since launch in April 2019, there have been 3 generations of centralized exchange (CEX) connector standards at Hummingbot:
- v1.0: The first generation of Hummingbot connectors were in all in Cython code, which made them difficult to debug and maintain. Since they were built iteratively, there were various non-standardized implementations in each connector.
- v2.0: In 2021, our engineers started to update exchanges to a new, simplified standard. This update introduced a more standardized file structure and a more well-defined subclass structure.
- v2.1: The recent update introduced generic test classes among other changes
In each iteration, Hummingbot connectors become easier to build and maintain. That's why keeping the top exchange connectors in Hummingbot is vital to the project's long-term maintainability.
Since some Hummingbot connectors have already been updated to the v2.1 standard, they serve as templates for community developers to update the others.
Building exchange connectors takes 1-4 weeks to build and test properly, depending on the complexity of the exchange API, so we believe these bounties compensate developers for their time.
We propose to create bounties for developers to upgrade the following connectors:
- Add FTX Perpetual v2.1 connector: 750,000 HBOT (developer assigned)
- Add Gate.io Perpetual v2.1 connector: 750,000 HBOT (developer assigned)
- Upgrade Binance Perpetual connector to v2.1: 750,000 HBOT
- Add Kucoin Perpetual v2.1 connector: 750,000 HBOT
- Upgrade HTC spot connector to v2.1: 500,000 HBOT
- Upgrade ByBit spot connector to v2.1: 500,000 HBOT
- Upgrade Huobi spot connector to v2.1: 500,000 HBOT
- Upgrade AscendEx spot connector to v2.1: 500,000 HBOT
How do I get started?
To see all Hummingbot bounties, check out Bounties Board where all our bounties are posted.
Interested developers can comment with their Discord handle in each bounty's Github issue or reach out to Foundation staff on Discord for an assignment interview.
To get started building a connector, review Developing Connectors in the Hummingbot documentation and consult the Notion template that gives you a step-by-step guide for building spot connectors. We will publish a similar Notion guide for perpetual connectors soon.
If this program proves successful, we plan to expand the certification and bounties process to DEXs and other aspects of the Hummingbot codebase in the future.