Hummingbot Newsletter - April 2022
🚀 Hummingbot 1.3.0 release | 🛣️ 2022 Roadmap | 🧑🤝🧑 ETHPortland hackathon winners | 🏗️ Technical Review DAO launched!
Welcome to the Hummingbot Newsletter!
Published each month when we ship a new Hummingbot release, this newsletter serves a regular dose of updates about our latest features 🤖, upcoming events 🎉, and announcements from our rapidly expanding global 🌐 community!
➡️ Subscribe to never miss any new issue.
🚀 Shipped Hummingbot v1.3.0!
We are very excited to ship the April 2022 Hummingbot release (v1.3.0) today! This release contains a number of bug fixes to the Avellaneda Market Making and TWAP strategies, along with a fix of the
InFlightOrder class to support partial fills in the Binance Perpetual connector.
We are excited to add a new spot connector to CoinFlex, the first exchange connector under the Foundation’s community maintenance model. In addition, the AscendEx and Kucoin connectors have been updated to comply with the most recent connector standards. Finally, users can now configure fees in different tokens.
Also, we have merged to the
development branch the long-awaited Gateway V2 module that connects to decentralized exchanges on EVM-based networks along with Solana, along with a new component called Scripts V2 that allows users to create and customize Hummingbot strategies more easily. We expect these features to ship in the May (1.4) release.
📒 March 2022 monthly report
We continue to publish a monthly report that lists sources and uses of funds for the Hummingbot Foundation along with other key metrics. Highlights from March:
- The Foundation collected $60,025 in fees from exchange partners and paid out $37,213 to community maintainers and staff, resulting in a net profit of $22,812.
- While updating the
heartbeatfeature that lets Hummingbot instances report aggregate anonymized volume by exchange to the Foundation, we inadvertently introduced a bug that was fixed a few weeks later, resulting in a 3-week data hole during March reporting.
- During the month, aggregated, anonymized trade volume reported from Hummingbot clients totalled $867 million (reflecting the data hole). Binance was the top exchange with $716 million. 14 exchanges reported $2 million+ in volume, including FTX, ProBit, Bybit, and dYdX.
In the future, we plan to expose the reported data from
heartbeat as a public endpoint that the Hummingbot community can consume and visualize.
🛣️ 2022 Roadmap
We have published an article on the Foundation website that goes into more detail about the Foundation’s business model, as well as our roadmap for the remainder of 2022.
Our main objectives are to:
- Scale exchange-maintainer partnerships
- Expand DEX connectors
- Improve documentation
- Grow developer community
- Launch project DAOs
For more details, please see Hummingbot Foundation Roadmap 2022.
💻 ETHPortland hackathon winners
ETHPortland was held on April 7-9, 2022. As the first hackathon sponsored by Hummingbot Foundation, it was a smashing success! Despite the nascent documentation available, 5 separate teams submitted Hummingbot-dedicated projects (out of 22 total submissions).
A total of 860K HBOT (out of 1M total allocated in the governance proposal) were allocated to the winners and participants and will be paid out in the next week.
Submissions by category included:
B. DEX Connectors
- Final Presentation (Link)
Congratulations to the all participants and thank you to the CoinAlpha and Hummingbot Foundation developers who provided support to them. As described in the 2022 roadmap, we plan to conduct more hackathons this year!
🏗️ Technical Review DAO launched!
HGP-7 established a 5-person Technical Review DAO, elected from the Hummingbot community, who earn HBOT tokens for reviewing Github pull requests before and during their submission as Pull Request Proposals. Their role is to help developers prepare their contributions for code review and approval, as well as adding comments that help HBOT token holders decide how to vote.
Tech Review DAO conducted their kick-off meeting last April 4, 2022, and then officially started with their tasks & responsibilities:
Review incoming Pull Request
Add comments on the Pull Requests Github page
Provide clarification about the Pull Request for non-developers members
Report bugs and security issues, if they exist
Help Foundation QA on testing Pull Requests
Report progress and activities to the rest of the community
Help community developers with technical information about the code-base
We look forward for their report during the next Monthly Community Call (see below).
☎️ Upcoming community call
In order to showcase new exchanges / strategies added to the Hummingbot codebase and to engage with our community more broadly, we have started to hold regular Community Calls on our Discord server.
When: Tuesday May 3rd, 3pm GMT / 8am PST
Where: Hummingbot Discord - event link
- Discuss recently approved governance proposals
- HBOT allocations and reward schedule
- Project DAOs and discuss the recently published 2022 Roadmap. Then, the Technical Review DAO will conduct their first monthly report.
📓 New documentation pages
We continue to improve the Hummingbot documentation. Recent highlights include:
- New ℹ️ More Resources section in each strategy doc page (example)
- Developer docs for building exchange connectors and the connector QA testing process
- Gateway explains how to configure the new Gateway-V2 DEX connector module (currently on
- Active Governance Proposals lists HGPs that have been approved and are currently active
- HBOT Allocation Report under Reporting that gives the community an overview of how HBOT tokens have been allocated through HGPs
- Staging Bug Hunt describes the process for testing monthly release candidates and how the community can earn HBOT tokens for finding and fixing bugs!
❌ Don’t fall for HBOT scams!
Finally, we have seen reports of scammers DM-ing users on Discord, Twitter and other channels advertising fake HBOT token sales.
Hummingbot Foundation has never conducted any pre-sale or sale of HBOT tokens, and anyone purporting to offer HBOT tokens is a scammer.
The only way to get HBOT tokens from the Foundation is to earn them via approved Hummingbot Governance Proposals and Hummingbot Improvement Proposals.
Further, there was a series of bot spammers that joined the community and impersonated the names & profile of Hummingbot Foundation team members.
Please report any such scams to our community managers on Discord, and we will ban them immediately and notify our community.
💬 Get involved!