Welcome to the Hummingbot Newsletter!
Published each month when we ship a new Hummingbot release, this newsletter serves a regular dose of updates about our latest features 🤖, upcoming events 🎉, and announcements from our rapidly expanding global 🌐 community!
➡️ Subscribe to never miss any new issue.
🚀 Shipped Hummingbot v1.2.0!
We are very excited to ship the March 2022 Hummingbot release (v1.2.0) today! This release contains a number of bug fixes to the Binance exchange connector, as well as improvements to the Avellaneda market making strategy.
In addition, CoinAlpha is wrapping up final work on the long-awaited Gateway V2 module that connects to decentralized exchanges on EVM-based networks along with Solana, along with a new component called Scripts V2 that allows users to create and customize Hummingbot strategies more easily. We expect these features to ship in the April release.
📒 February 2022 monthly report
We continue to publish a monthly report that lists sources and uses of funds for the Hummingbot Foundation along with other key metrics. Highlights from February:
- The Foundation collected $47,245 in fees from exchange partners and paid out $40,750 to community maintainers and staff, resulting in a net profit of $6,805.
- A total of 27 million HBOT tokens were claimed in the Retroactive Distributions that concluded on February 28. The remaining 13 million HBOT tokens reserved for Retroactive Distributions were approved in a governance proposal to be granted to CoinAlpha for distribution to Hummingbot users via the Hummingbot Miner platform.
- Aggregated, anonymized trade volume reported from Hummingbot clients totalled $4.06 billion in February. Binance was the top exchange with $2.6 billion, and 16 exchanges reported $5 million+ in volume, including FTX, Probit, bybit, and dYdX.
Tracking discrepancies between fees collected from exchange partners and the trade volume reported from Hummingbot clients, and surfacing those discrepancies to our exchange partners, will be a key aspect that the Foundations aims to improve later this year.
🏗️ Technical Review DAO Launched!
To maintain a high level of quality throughout our rapidly expanding codebase, it’s critically important to have knowledgeable, skilled engineers review each pull request that is submitted to the codebase.
As Hummingbot is now a community-maintained project, the community proposed to set up a 5-person DAO comprised of community members who would be compensated in HBOT tokens for reviewing each Pull Request Proposal and adding their review comments to the Github issue.
After the election, the 5 members of the Technical Review DAO are:
To learn more about the backgrounds of the elected participants, see their applications in this Commonwealth thread.
These 5 members will serve a term that ends with Epoch 1, and we expect to hold re-elections for Epoch 2.
☎️ Upcoming Community Calls
In order to showcase new exchanges / strategies added to the Hummingbot codebase and to engage with our community more broadly, we have started to hold regular Community Calls on our Discord server.
- Tue April 5: Community Call #3: In our regular monthly call, Foundation PM Paulo will discuss recently approved proposals and how community members can earn HBOT tokens via dev grants and other initiatives.
- Wed April 6: CoinFlex Connector Presentation: CoinFlex will be the first connector built under the new Foundation model, which matches a community developer with an exchange that supports them in building and maintaining the connector. Kenny from CoinFlex will showcase what makes CoinFlex unique and how they will support the Hummingbot community.
💻 Join the ETHPortland Hackathon
The Hummingbot community has approved 1,000,000 HBOT tokens as prizes for the ETHPortland hackathon, the first of many hackathons that we aim to suppport.
These prizes will go to developers who submit improvements to 2 new parts of the Hummingbot codebase:
- New DEX connectors for Gateway V2
- New “lite strategies” (henceforth to be renamed Scripts V2)
We will provide more documentation to participating developers at the conference.
❌ Don’t fall for HBOT scams!
Finally, we have seen reports of scammers DM-ing users on Discord, Twitter and other channels advertising fake HBOT token sales.
Hummingbot Foundation has never conducted any pre-sale or sale of HBOT tokens, and anyone purporting to offer HBOT tokens is a scammer.
The only way to get HBOT tokens from the Foundation is to earn them via approved Hummingbot Governance Proposals and Hummingbot Improvement Proposals.
Please report any such scams to our community managers on Discord, and we will ban them immediately and notify our community.
💬 Get involved!